Sometimes, you see an idea on the Internet that makes your brain wake up and go “PING!”
Yesterday, I saw one of those rare beasts and decided to do my part to help give wings to the mini-revolution started by Daile. Today is my 100th post on Tip of My Tongue, and it feels like the perfect time to share ten thoughts from my Daile-inspired, so-recently-written-the-ink-is-still-drying list of 100 Things I Like About Myself.
In Daile’s words (and if you haven’t found her blog yet, you should head over):
List of 100 Things I Like About Myself — The idea behind this was two-fold.
- Whenever I am experiencing self-doubt, it is a resource I can go to and try to remember that I am actually a pretty great person.
- It’s much easier for me to comprehend things I ‘like’ about myself.
By focusing on what I like about myself I am thinking about the small things that are easy to accept. I’m not looking for ‘things I love’ or ‘things that make me amazing’ or ‘reasons why I am the best person ever’. It’s easier to acknowledge even if you are feeling down that there are some things that you still like about yourself. You may not agree with all 100 things at the time, but it is powerful to keep in mind that you once did. And that you probably will again.
When I started this blog and began connecting with other WordPress bloggers, I found out how powerful something like this little idea could be. I mentioned my list to fellow blogger Rachel from Rachel’s Table as a way you can beat the blues. She then directed me to a post by one of her followers, Misty’s Laws, who was inspired by my comment and decided to start her own list. Which I think is pretty cool!
So, my chickadees, what about yourself makes you smile? I’d love it if you’d share a few things. If you’re moved to write a whole post about it, I’ll link to it here, and I’m thinking Daile might do the same. Revolutions – especially of the self-love variety – require community! Speaking of… the list of what I like about all of you is so long it would break the Internet. As for me, here goes:
1. I think I bring more color to the world.
2. I can pun and innuendo like nobody’s business.
3. I’m tidy – give me fifteen minutes, and I can bring a sense of order and coziness to any space.
4. I have really great eyebrows!
5. I pick good people to bring into my life. I’d say 97% of the folks I’ve ever chosen as close friends/lovers are deeply wonderful human beings.
6. I’ve learned a lot of useful skills. When the zombie apocalypse comes, I can make a camp, start a fire, cook good food, and practice wilderness medicine. (Unless you’ve been bitten. If you’ve been bitten, we’re gonna have a nice calm talk about how you want to go out.)
7. I only say I love you when I mean it. I say it a lot.
8. I have rescued a passel of animals: as of now, the count stands at one dog, one cat, one rabbit, and two seagulls.
9. I give people the benefit of the doubt.
10. When I dance, strangers pay attention. I’m shy in other ways, but never while music is on.
All right, ante up – I showed you mine, now show me yours!
…and here’s the list of people who have been brave enough to “show me theirs:”
- Stef from Smile, Kiddo — My favorite from her list is, “I’m always on the lookout for things to learn.”
- My new friend from I Really Just Like to Write — I’m a big fan of her #5: “I will always let you borrow my books.”
- Katie from The Pursuit of Paulson — I really enjoy, “I can making purring sounds with both my tongue and my uvula. Take that, Spanish language trills and cats.”